Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Well, here goes...

I've decided that I'm going to take a risk. This isn't something unusual for me but this is a different one than normal. I have decided that I need a way to seriously evaluate and think about my walk with God and I'm going to do it via this blog. I debated for quite a while (in my standards) over whether or not this was a good idea. Not everyone wants to share with the world the things I intend to in this blog. In fact, most people would probably have a hard time sharing it with people they trusted and looked up to. But, me being the type of person that I am, I feel like this will be a way for me to make myself really think about the difficult topics. Things such as "does God really exist?", "do I deserve His forgiveness?", and "what should I do about it?".

I'll start with this and then I really do need to go to bed. I grew up going to Sunday school every week in a Lutheran church until I was confirmed in eighth grade. After confirmation, I joined a youth group at an Assembly of God church in my home town and went there almost every week until about my junior/senior year. After my senior year of high school I went to work at a Lutheran bible camp. This was a wonderful experience for me but it left me feeling kind of empty. When I got to college, my random roommate was a very dedicated and new Christian. She got me to start going to church with her as well as a campus group run by the Assembly of God churches. The group I quit attending because of the people in it but the church is one thing that has remained relatively constant throughout my college career.

I say all this because I want it to be clear that I grew up in the church, albeit a relatively wide variety. I know all the right answers to most questions posed by people. I can regurgitate it like mother bird feeding her young. That is the very reason I'm doing this blog. My faith isn't real to me anymore. I know who God is, what He did for us and why, but it doesn't mean anything to me. Therefore, when I go about my life doing things that I know are not what God wants, I don't care.

I'm trying to decide if this scares me or not.

So, from now until I get bored with it, this will be my outlet. This will be the place where I share all my fears and triumphs, my doubts and my joys. Feel free to join me or not. But here we go. It should be an eye opening experience.

No comments:

Followers