How do you know God is real? I know from my upbringing that believing in God requires blind faith. We should not have to see to believe. Okay, this I can understand. Kind of like I can look at water and know that it's made up of hydrogen and oxygen but I don't have to see the individual molecules to believe it. But how can you believe in something so much without seeing it?
Now, I know the argument about seeing God through other people and various acts. Oftentimes in my life I have attributed something that has happened in my life to God. For instance, recently a friend of mine told me she was sick. The sickness that she has is not really rare, however it is not something that many people talk about. She is incredibly scared and would normally not have anywhere to turn except for, last spring, I was diagnosed with the same condition. I trusted her enough to talk to her about it so she knew that she could talk to me about it. If I had not gone through the situation myself I would not have been able to help her. After she had talked to me about it and I was in my room thinking I said to myself "thank God I went through that so I could help her". But what if it has nothing to do with God? What if we both just ended up with the same unfortunate fate because we both made poor decisions? What if it is just some sick joke the universe is playing on us? How do we truly know the difference.
I guess this is where I get confused about other religions as well. I was raised in a Christian church. Everyone around me when I was growing up were also raised in Christian churches. They are the kinds of churches that are dominant in the U.S. What if the only reason I am a Christian is by default? I was never really exposed to other religions, therefore I just latched onto the only thing I knew. There are people around the world of so many different cultures that believe different things. How do I know that Christians have picked the right one? Wouldn't it be the funniest joke on us if, when we died, we found out that we were wrong all our lives? Okay, not funny but you get what I'm saying.
Now, you hear all the time about people converting to Christianity but what about the people who leave Christianity. Whether that be to be an atheist, agnostic or a different religion is irrelevant. The key point is they left. Why don't we hear about these people? Someday I think I would like to sit down with some of my atheist and agnostic friends and ask them why. On the flip-side, I would also like to sit down with some Christians and ask them why.
Maybe I just feel all this because I've never had any major "divine sign" or something. Either that or I have and just haven't noticed it; this is probably the more likely answer. Is it too much to ask to have a concrete sign? I feel like doubting Thomas. (I still feel like he got a bad wrap) But they say that doubt is not a bad thing. Without doubting and asking questions, there is no room to grow, right? Or am I just spouting back things that I've always been told? Sometimes it is just hard to remember which thoughts were mine and which were put there when I was little.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hmm, Thomas does get a bad rap at times, the study Bible I picked up points out that he is shown to be willing to sacrifice himself with Jesus earlier in the Gospels.
Doubts are not a bad thing, God asks us to believe on faith but I think He rarely asks us to do it blindly. He provides the Bible as a guide and proof that our faith needn't be blind and that He is there. The challenge with a concrete sign of course is what is concrete enough that it can't be logiced/chanced away?
On growing up Christian, I grew up that way too and certainly it influenced my beliefs. However as I got older and especially in college these beliefs were challenged and I've had to learn enough to be able to defend them. If you've stuck with something up til now you should probably be have a good reason to as why you hold that belief. If not, educate yourself! Become a Christian who can truly defend the faith and who knows why they believe. Through that you can teach and lead others even if simply by example or better yet by helping others understand their beliefs. You have some amazing resources around you to help: Al, Steph, and Lars come to mind.
Alright, I'm done now!
Hot dang! I think the Beekman knocked that one out of the park! Can I comment on here? I'm obviously biased, does that exclude my comments? I just found this blog today :)
>>Or am I just spouting back things that I've always been told? Sometimes it is just hard to remember which thoughts were mine and which were put there when I was little.
Regarding most religions, Everyone you know was simply "told something" whether it happens when we are young or old I think is irrelevant. No Living person has ever met Jesus, Mohamed, Budah, Vishnu, or whoever. Furthermore, most "Current" prophets and religions are usually recognizable as crackpots in about 6 minutes. The only thing that comes as firsthand knowledge for any of us is when we have an experience with a living God. To be unbiased, most religions will claim "current" happenings in their faith, Christianity is made distinct by the personable nature of the God that we serve. I honestly pray that this blog/search leads you into the presence of a living God who's power and presence is UNDENIABLE. WHEN that happens...I expect the conversations here will become MUCH more lively :)
In the meantime, I would leave you with one sign pointer on your journey...ask Jesus with an honest heart what is required for you to experience him...then search the scriptures with an open heart for an answer.
Post a Comment